What could be better than a charming walk around Chernivtsi after a hard day of presentations and workshops? This charming city enamour everyone who visit it. So we suggest you to watch right now the magnificent bird’s-eye view of Chernivtsi!

So we offer a list of sights to  visit:

    

1. Banchensky monastery

The fourth Laura of Ukraine –  that is how  pilgrims name Banchensky Ascension Monastery. Being  like a piece of heaven among the worldliness and though  not having a century history it takes hundreds of pilgrims every day. At the monastery entrance  there is  the Bell tower which is very similar to the Kyiv St. Sophia`s one, with  the only difference to be one and a half times higher than the last.  Besides there is being erected a large cathedral  not far from that place.   It  is planned to be as high  as Volodymyrski one in Kyiv. In addition it is located on a high hill.  A more magnificent veiw  can be seen only the Christ the Savior Cathedral  and the Kremlin palaces in  Moscow .

 

The driveway  through the  Bell tower is closed with massive wrought iron gates, similar to those  which the Bolsheviks stormed  in October 1917 when  assaulted the Winter Palace. Behind the gates there is  a picturesque park, which can be comparedwith the Crimean former imperial residences in Livadia and Vorontsov Palaces` parks,  but  it is  several times lesser. Everywhere there are  paved road stones paths, neatly trimmed lawns, fences of bushes, miniature Tui and a lot of different flowers.  In the middle of this greenery, near  the majestic temple there is a fountain. Inside  the cathedral  from the dome the massive gilded  panykadylo hangs.  There is also a five-tier carved iconostasis and the fully painted walls .

Residential building with cells can be compared with the cathedral in its wealth.   It is used to  believe that cell  must be  modest, almost ascetic. Cells in  Banchensky monastery  more look like resemble palaces in Puscha-Vodice than monks` modest abode.

 

2. The Residence of Orthodox metropolitans of Bukovina and Dalmatia   –  the World Cultural Heritage  of UNESCO.

It was built on the place of the old bishop’s house in  1864-1882.  Now the Chernivtsi National University  central corpses are located here. This unique architectural ensemble appeared  by  Bishop Eugene Gakman` efforts. In 1863 he obtained the Austrian emperor permission to build a new spacious residenceworthy of the capital of Bukovina. Next  year just after the Holy Dukhovskoi Cathedral consecration, the first foundation stone of the future residence  was laid by Bishop Hakman .

The architectural ensemble projects  were done by the famous Czech scientist, architect, academician Joseph Glavka. He designed the untraditional building complex in eclectic spirit with   Byzantine and Romanesque styles  elements dominating. That project won  prize places while competitions of known architects  for many times and at the World Exhibition in Paris it was particularly awarded . The ensemble composition  is rather complicated, but it is characterized by the clarity of planning. It consists of three monumental buildings-corps: the main one,  the seminary with the Three Saints Church and  the presbytery.

 

3. Music and Drama Theatre is one of the most famous architectural monuments of the city, which decorates the Theatre Square for more than a hundred years  long.

Chernivtsi Theatre  is  the creation of the Viennese firm Fellner and Helmer known in Europe  for the  43 built theatres, including Odessa Opera. The Theatre in Chernivtsy had been built   in for two years and its beauty can be compared with the best theatres in Europe. Its first foundation stone was laid on the 1-st  of August  1904   and on the  3-rd  of October 1905 the opening ceremony was held.

The theatre was built in the Vienna Secession style with dominating the Renaissance style elements. The front of the building was decorated with arched portal with two pairs of columns on the sides and sculptural composition of  Apollo with lute  surrounded by the ancient drama characters. Above the front window  William Shakespeare`s and Richard Wagner`s  bas-relief medallions were installed. They were surrounded by the muses. In the tympanum above the side walls windows the marble busts of  world known men of arts were also installed. The  interior decor was done in Baroque style combining  white and gold tones that gave it elegance. The Theatre foyer and auditorium  were magnificently decorated with  carvings and neodaroque sculptures. First in front of  the Theatrt there was a monument to Schiller, and now at this place there is a bronze sculpture of Olga Kobylyanskaya.   Today the Theatre is named after her .

 

4. The  Armenian Church

In the middle of the XIX century  there was a desperate need of Chernivtsi Armenian Catholics  community  to have their own churh. The Czech architect Josef  Glavka was invited for its architectural designing.  At that time he worked on the Bukovinian Metropolitans Residence.  The church building began in 1869 in the historic Armenian quarter and  on the 9-th of October 1875  the  genius Hlavka`s creation was solemnly consecrated in honor of  Holy Apostles Peter and Paul.

In  the Armenian Church architectural composition  Joseph Glavka had unconventionally  combined the Romanesque, Byzantine and Gothic styles` elements,  inherent in  medieval Bucovinian monasteries with  the Armenian religious architecture traditions. Due to the excellent acoustics  the church was used as a concert hall from the very beginning:   church singing and music events  and organ music parties  were organized there. Now the former church is  the Chernivtsi Philharmonic  Organ Hall.

 

5. The  City Council  is situated  on the  Chernivtsi Central square since the  middle of the XIX century.

Its construction  was discussed  from1825, and only on the 19-th of April 1843 the first foundation stone of the  future council  was laid  in presence of the honorauble guests from the capital. Construction works were carried out under the district engineer Adolf Marina  and cameral  architect Andreas Mikulicz supervision. 4 years later  an elegant  buildingin late classicism style  with high tower and courtyard  appeared  in the middle of  Chernivtsi. Inold European tradition  the City Hall combined two volumes: a large horizontal one -that had the accented front projection crowned with the emblem of the city shield  on the background; and the vertical one – that was a 50-meter  two-tier tower  with the balcony and the clock. For many  years  the magistrate compared  the time with Vienna on this clock  until Chernivtsi  received its own self-governance.

The old city is well seen from the balcony that surrounds all  the tower sides.  At that times the balcony was not a platform for the surrounding area viewing, it was used  just  practically as the fire patrol location. Now every day exactly  at 12.00 a.m. the  “Marichka”    ringtone performed by the trumpeter dressed  in Bucovinian folk costume  is heard  from the tower balcony for  four sides of  city.

 

6. The  Art Museum

In 1900-1901 the imposing three-storey building of then Bukovinian Savings Bank  Directorate  appeared at the Chernivtsi Central Square  near the City Council. It was built by Viennese architect Hubert Gessner who was Otto Wagner` talented student. The  Art Museum building   is considered to be a classic example of Vienna Secession  and one of the finest monuments of art Nouveau style in Central and Eastern Europe. It had clear symmetry of the front, on the background  there was the central  projection crowned by the  attic with  two statues on the both rims. The majolica panels decorated the upper part of the front central  projection.  Depicted in panels  allegorical figures symbolized Austria-Hungarian provinces.   A young man in goat skins  represented  Bukovina. Recently on the front of the Art Museum a monument to a  bouquet of roses appeared, as was said,  that Chernivtsi streets was swept with.

The Art Museum had an impressive and equally exquisiteinterior beauty.  In its design  the sculpture, painting, stucco, stained glass and metal art  were skillfully combined . Well-known Ukrainian artist Mykola Ivasjuk  was engaged  in  internal building decoration. The mythological story picture  that  still adorns the ceiling  was painted by him .